More details have surfaced about Prince’s death.
According to the Associated Press, at the time of Prince’s death, his system had extremely high levels of fentanyl in it.
The initial cause of death was indeed known to be because of a fentanyl overdose, but the amount of the synthetic opioid in Prince’s system was unknown. The drug is 50 times more potent than heroin and has contributed heavily to America’s opioid death rate rising.
Prince’s blood showed he had 67.8 micrograms per liter in his system. To put that into perspective, people have died with anywhere from 3 to 58 micrograms per liter in their system before. The large range of those numbers is due to tolerance levels among different users.
According to Complex, toxicology tests show Prince’s liver had a concentration of 450 micrograms per kilogram when only 69 micrograms per kilogram can represent overdose.
America’s opioid crisis does not stop or start with the recent celebrity deaths such as Tom Petty and Lil Peep, but it is just a small example of what is happening in America. This epidemic needs to be dealt with and fast.
If you or someone you know is sick and needs help, please call the American Addiction Center Hotline:
It is never too late.
Chris is a writer and social media guru who is known for channeling his creativity. He offers valuable insight regarding trending topics in hip-hop, sports, fashion/streetwear, and tech news. Follow @REALschweitz on Twitter